Stockbox is the new neighborhood Grocery. Our stores are designed with the urban community in mind, operating in a small format with a big neighborhood impact. It’s our job to keep things fresh and we do that by responding to our neighbors, stocking fresh meal ingredients, and giving caring customer service every day of the week.
Our business is growing and we’re looking for the right candidates to join our team. Stockbox team members are passionate about retail, fresh food, and community. Our top-choice candidates will have excellent skills in customer service, be friendly and motivated through every shift, and have the ability to work effectively on a team while working toward store goals.
As a customer service clerk, you’re a vital part of our team. Without providing friendly, reliable customer service and knowledge of our food, we wouldn’t be Stockbox Neighborhood Grocery. You’ll engage with all customers and provide them readily with all the information they need to make a purchase. You’ll process cash/credit transactions in high and low-volume store traffic, balancing this with other tasks such as stocking the shelves, and maintaining a clean/healthy/inviting store environment.
- Greet customers/store visitors and make them feel welcome. Answer inquiries to the best of your knowledge, using other staff as a resource. Do the same when answering the store phone, placing priority over in-person store visitors.
- Actively take part in ensuring that our inventory is fresh and our displays are appealing at all times. Stock shelves before they’re empty, rotate inventory according to freshness, dust and wipe surfaces regularly, ensure proper labels and signage.
- Process cash/credit transactions effectively and reliably, in peak store traffic as well as hours when there are fewer people in the store. Follow store policies for cash handling, security, and retuned items.
- Engage in friendly conversation with customers as they pay and leave the store, making them feel good about their purchases and helping Stockbox build good neighbor relationships.
- Keep customers informed of in-store promotions, price changes, and new products. Participate in store marketing initiatives by maintaining up-to-date signage and information.
- Follow procedures for opening the store and closing the store using effective team work and close attention to detail.
- Participate in developing the Stockbox brand by contributing thoughtful ideas, problem-solving solutions and elbow grease to our daily team operations.
- Enduring positivity and high energy, especially when it comes to engaging customers, sharing about food and working with your team.
- Customer service, retail, cashier or grocery experience is an asset. Experience in high-volume, public facing role will come in handy.
- Must have a basic knowledge of a variety of foods and cooking methods. Knowledge of local food brands, organic food standards, and food trends is a plus, but willingness to learn is even more valuable.
- Ability to develop and grow relationships with a diverse variety of people within the Stockbox community (customers, vendors, team members, and others).
- Adaptable thinking for quick problem-solving. Ability to work independently to manage time and projects throughout the shift, often unassisted.
- Comfortable with computers, numbers, and cash handling. Will train on point of sale system.
- Flexible schedule. Available to work evenings and weekends.
- Stand and walk for extended periods of time. Ability to work without sitting for up to 4 hours.
- Bend/stoop to grasp objects. Climb ladders.
- Bend and lift loads, not to exceed 40 pounds unassisted.
- Fit to work in a startup business environment.
- Must be 18 years or older.
Download and complete a Stockbox Employment Application. Submit your completed application, resume, cover letter, and employment to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Customer Service Clerk”. Cover letter should address relationship/experience with food, relevant customer service experience, and why you’re excited about joining the First Hill team.